Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Cooking Time Again

The other night I went and saw Julie and Julia. It was fantastic. I knew I would enjoy it, but I had no idea I'd love it as much as I did.
It has inspired me to start cooking. So although the heat is sweltering, I'm pretending it's cold outside and turning the oven on. Yesterday before work I made peanut butter and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Last night I made homemade macaroni and cheese. Here is my simple recipe:
  • 3 cups of uncooked macaroni
  • 1.5 cups of milk
  • 1 medium sized egg
  • about 30 oz. of cheese (or more or less depending on how cheesy you like it- I used sharp, mild would work fine too)
  • paprika
  • salt
Macaroni goes into the pot. Salt a bit (only way you can add flavor to the pasta is right now!)
Bring the macaroni to a boil (or cook until soft) then strain. Set aside.
Put 1/3 of the cheese in the bottom of a 9x12 baking pan
Mix egg in with milk
Begin layering cheese and macaroni and pouring in a bit of the milk/egg mixture.
Add dashes of paprika in between layers
Save some of the cheese for the top and sprinkle everywhere. Grate more if you like it SUPER cheesy.
Bake at 320 for about 50 minutes. Top should darken up quite a bit. For macabre macaroni add a garnish of spiders on top. You can get a huge bag of plastic ring spiders at Party City or someplace similar. Make sure the little one's know they're not edible! Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment