Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Fall Has Arrived

With September finally here, I am breathing a sigh of relief that summer is over. I wish Mother Nature would take this into consideration and stop making it so warm and sunny, but I'm sure Heat Meiser is being a little bitch right now.
In other news, I went to a concert this past Saturday night at the Fox Theater in Pomona. It's in this downtown area, near Cal Poly, so it's very collegey. I'm used to a fair dose of hipsters, skinny jeans, and the swoopy bang by this point, but there is never quite as much as there is near a college.
What was most surprising was the turnout. This place was packed. Recently I've either been to venues that are medium sized and not quite full, or small and packed near the front. Fortunately I got the "must be in the front" syndrome out of my system when I was a teenager and no longer have to rush up there. The back where I lurk is generally empty, or occupied by those people who don't shut up during a show. (Really, can you have your conversation after the band goes off? It's only an hour. Sorry we're inconveniencing you all by listening.)
Anyway, to keep it spooky, I suggest a couple of songs of theirs, "The Funeral" and "Is There a Ghost." Both are more subtly spooky, then say a bloody zombie found at the Spirit store. If you enjoy a darkly polished candelabra year round, mixed with a pumpkin in your kitchen that's stayed alive for months, then I hope you'll give them a listen.
The band played several new songs that were extremely... for lack of a better word, country. I don't know how I feel about this. I may not be purchasing the next album, but I'll definitely give it a try. I can say Band of Horses are positively perfect live. A little too perfect. One of my favorite things in a show is the banter, or those one time things that no one would understand unless you were in the crowd with me. There really wasn't anything like that this time, but nonetheless it was a good way to spend a Saturday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment