Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Best of Books- 2009

I'm a few days behind already, but I wanted to get my Best of 2009 reading list up. I can't even begin to say what a fantastic year this was for reading, and I'm so looking forward to 2010 to bring even more great reads. In no particular order (with the exception of the last two):

Going Bovine by Libba Bray- completely different from her Gemma Doyle series which I was absorbed by, but funny, complex, and wonderfully refreshing. Libba Bray is definitely not going to be typecast as a Victorian fantasy writer.

The Magicians by Lev Grossman- I read it described as "grownup Harry Potter" and went in looking for that. I wasn't disappointed. It was magical and dramatic, and this book stressed me out, but it was worth it in the end.

Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris- Not my favorite Sookie Stackhouse book, but the more I get into this series, the more I want. I'm hooked and if there is anyone in the world who hasn't read these books (all three of you) go pick it up immediately.
Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough- I've loved witches since birth, and this book gave me a delicious new serving of witchcraft. It was unexpectedly good. I devoured it in one day, and I'm excited that the ending seemed open enough for a sequel. Please?

Eternal Kiss edited by Trisha Telep and featuring so many of my favorite authors- I don't even know where to begin with this one. I'm not usually a fan of short stories, but when I found out that Maria V. Snyder, Holly Black, Kelley Armstrong, Libba Bray, AND Cassandra Clare were going to be featured in the same book, I was in. These women are incredible, as are their storytelling abilities. This book makes me unbelievably excited for Holly Black's book of short stories, The Poison Eaters, due out in February. She's the reason I started reading young adult fantasy, with Tithe, back in 2002. I worship this woman. I could go on and on about all of the authors in this collection, especially the one's I mentioned, but you should just read them all yourself and fall in love like I did.

Blood Promise by Richelle Mead- This author loves to torment us. The Vampire Academy series keeps managing to pull me in more and more as the books go on. I can not wait until May for the next book, and I know I'll read it way too fast, and be in agony waiting for the next book.

The Hollow by Jessica Verday (not pictured up top since it's being borrowed)- Sleepy Hollow is one of those consistent things I think should never be messed with. I think it was honored beautifully in this book and I look forward to the next installment. Also, I wish the author would go on twitter since it's such a great place for us readers to get to know the lovely writers that we live for.
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick (not pictured up top because it is also being borrowed)- Another surprising one for me and my number two pick for the year. I'm not normally a huge reader of fiction involving angels, but this one cried out to me on the shelf, and Patch lured me in. I think this one gets a bonus star since I love the name Patch so much.

Finally, my favorite book, as it is for pretty much everyone who has read it this year, is Beautiful Creatures by the magnificent Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl- This book is the new Twilight. I don't even know where to begin except to say this story is truly exceptional. I know it's going to be one that I keep coming back to over the years. Follow these ladies on twitter, follow their writing careers, because soon everyone will be. Read Beautiful Creatures before it's sold out at your local book store and you can't find it. I laughed, I cried, I was devastated, I was fulfilled, I was shocked, and I'm dying for more. Please, more, and soon!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love (LOVE) your Halloween countdown widget. I've added it to my sidebar. And this was a great post. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete